Experienced and passionate CREATIVE PROFESSIONAL with a unique blend of business, creative and technical skills. Detail oriented project manager with extensive strategic and tactical experience producing and directing a wide range of unique creative projects including print, interactive, video and films with profit/loss responsibilities. Proven ability to thrive in dynamic business environments. Enjoys creative challenges providing the opportunity to produce results in excess of expectations. Effective at communicating with all organizational levels while keeping a eye on the big picture.
Education: Bachelor of Science, Environmental Design, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
PARTNER / CREATIVE Director - Glaze Studio, Austin, Tx. / 1994-current
Developing creative solutions and strategic planning for product design, advertising and marketing campaigns including
identity, product packaging, collateral, web sites, publications, conceptual and technical illustration, photography and
broadcast video. Creative consultation for product concept and design. Facilitates all aspects of the design process and
intimately involved in the business and management of studio operations.
• TG: Thank You Video for New Horizons, a non-profit that provides scholarship funds for Austin area students. Produced on Red One. Producer, director, editor, sound design
• Spoons Yogurt: In-store Promotional Identity Video. Design and production of Motion Graphics in After Effects
• Travis County Water District: Water Pollution, Conservation and Alternative Energy Public Awareness campaign, Design and illustration of a series of 10 posters. Branded identity character designs aimed at children depicting easy ways to conserve water. Also included a series of posters focused on specialized services, facilities and service areas.
• Texas Civil Engineering Magazine: Complete magazine reconstruction. Conversion of entire production from a Mac to PC (CS4 InDesign). This included the successful production of a reusable template and the first 32 page issue on the new system before deadline with no errors.
• E Cointoss: Identity, branded commercial and video interface, art direction of a branded video interface with a live digital 3D Avatar that is digitally connected to the referee’s coin on the football field. The video is displayed on the jumbo-tron over the field. The video interface premiered at the 2010 Liberty Bowl.
• American Construction Benefits Group : An 18 part Health Awareness Video Series designed to help blue collar construction workers get the most from their insurance policies. Our solution was to keep the viewer engaged by creating a fun, appealing sports comedy web video series that they would watch in small doses on their own schedule. ACBG would offer a discount on their insurance for watching all the episodes. Director of Photography, Editor, Sound Design
• Spectrum Productions: Director of Photography, HD Documentaries on Archeology, Solstice Alignments and Ancient Boat Design on location at Tiawanaku, Isle Serique and Copacabana, Lake Titicaca, Bolivia. Cinematography from documentary chosen to be included on Digging For The Truth, The History Channel
• Lower Colorado River Authority: Identity and Environmental Awareness Design of graphics and sign structure systems for interior and exterior way finding materials. This included public awareness posters with illustrations of green processes involving the filtration of polluted storm water runoff into bio-retention basins in environmentally sensitive regions. Also produced a series of children’s character illustration/designs to be used as educational posters and public awareness advertising.
• LBCo. Publishing: Creative Product Design, production and strategic planning of identity, branding, collateral, e-commerce and web site design. While formerly employed by this client duties included Art direction and production of high end books including illustration, photography and character design.
• Capitol City A&E Magazine: Editor in Chief of the 56 page bimonthly magazine including advertising design and printing production. Also responsible for general management of creative staff, interns, freelance artists and writers— approximately 20 people. As a partner in the company I was a key figure in all primary business dealings including venture capitol negotiations.
• Texas Department of Transportation: Art Direction and design of public awareness campaign for The Motorcycle Safety Bureau including identity, branding, television commercials and a comprehensive collateral package.
ART Director / Associate Creative Director - Roberson Investments, Inc. - Austin, Texas 1991-1995
Responsible for art direction and management of freelance illustrators, photographers, and special effects artists. Also worked closely with the president on daily operations, corporate strategies, investment negotiations and provided project estimates and budget recommendations for publishing, construction and film interests.
• LBCo. Publishing: Design of high quality books including hard cover, perfect bound, leather bound limited editions and managed the printing/bindery needs of all products. Responsible for design and marketing of the first product to sell out its first edition. Additional duties included promotions, marketing and public relations.
• Architecture / Environmental Design of a 17,000 square ft. retail building adjacent to Ridgemar Mall in Ft. Worth, Tx. and an 8,000 square ft. office and meeting facility for a Housing and Urban Development project in Conroe, Tx. Also designed 5,000 square ft. office space for the publishing company in Austin, Tx.
• Cinestar Films: Art Direction and motion picture post production, color correction and transfer to D-1 from 35mm at PhotoKem in Burbank, Ca. and design of package, marketing and publicity materials for the motion picture “Rigged” a saucy 80’s Texas oil company murder mystery starring Academy Award winner, George Kennedy. Medical Illustrator / GRAPHIC DESIGNER - Texas Veterinary Medical Center - College Station, Tx. 1989-91 Responsible for producing illustration, graphic design, photographic media and advertising related to veterinary medical education and research including brochures, magazines, books, national medical journals, slide presentations and posters.
2007 Cinematography from documentary chosen for use in Digging For The Truth, The History Channel
2005 Nominated for Music Video of the Year, Austin Music Network - Austin, Texas
2004 Board of Directors, Summer in the City Festival, Northcross Mall - Austin, Texas
2003 Featured Speaker, Final Cut Pro Non-Linear Editing, Capitol Macintosh - Austin, Texas
2003 Co-Producer / Director / Editor of a series of Music documentaries - Austin Groove volumes 1-4
1998 Web Site Excellence Award, Heavelution Concerts - Canada
1997 Featured Artist of the Month, April issue of Intelligent Electronics ICON Magazine
1996 Cool Reality Award, web site design, Artistic Reality
1995 Board of Directors, Artist Coalition of Austin
1995 1st Place Graphic Design (Digital Art in Photoshop) 2nd Annual Greater Austin Multimedia Shoot Out
1995 2nd Place Range of Motion Art Competition, Texas Chiropractic Auxiliary, exhibit held in the Texas State Capitol
1986 1st Place in the SCAVMA Texture Photography Competition - Texas A&M University
1986 Best Student Works Gallery Show - Texas A&M Visual Arts Committee (Artfest)
1986 D eans List, College of Architecture - Environmental Design - Texas A&M University
1984 Meritorious Service Award (M.S.C. Camera Committee) - Texas A&M University
1983 National Quill & Scroll Journalism Honor Society, featured in documentary film on year books, chosen as Yearbook Publishing Staff of the Year and featured in a documentary film by Taylor Publishing - Dallas, Texas
2005 Apple Computer Training Demonstration, Final Cut Pro 5 HD and Motion 2 by Jim Kanter, Digital Film Institute
2000 Apple Computer Continued Education Series 4 Day Seminar, Final Cut Pro, Austin, TX
2000 Apple Computer 2 Day Seminar on the Final Cut Pro Video Editing Suite, Dallas, TX
1997 Adobe PageMaker Workshop Austin, Texas
1992 Publish Magazine Desktop Color Conference - Houston, Texas
1990 Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, GNSI Airbrush Workshop instructed by Suzani at the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution - Washington D.C.
Skills and Interests
Graphic and Environmental Design, Traditional and Digital Illustration, Image Retouch, Photography, Red One Cinematography,
Videography, Video Editing, Painting, Golf, Skateboarding, Mountain Bike, Mac and Windows Systems utilizing Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Dreamweaver, InDesign, After Effects, Encore, Flash, Quark, Final Cut Pro HD, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Compressor, Red Cine-X, Red Alert
87-10 Art, Design, Video and Photography for various talented artists, filmmakers, musicians and military
01-02 Graphic Design - Greater Austin Sports Association
1998 Judge for the Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards, National Assoc. of Government Communicators
Featured Firm of the Week: Mindsmack
MindSmack specializes in Web Design, Interactive, Flash, Animation, Mobile Applications, iPhone,...
View the Top 100 Design Firms
Everyone has a list. However, DesignFirms feels that only real customers should be able to decide...
2013 Design Awards - Call For Entries
Submit your best work for a chance to win the coveted DesignFirms award. We recognize outstanding...